A Spring Picnic
- April 29, 2015 |
- by Kirstin Uhrenholdt
How about a spring picnic in the park? If it is far to the park, have the picnic on a roof. Can’t go to the beach? Bring the beach to your patio. Fill a tub with water and beach toys. Stick an umbrella in a bucket of sand, and put on your best beach hat. Or, if it rains, bring the picnic inside. No matter where you have the picnic, it will be memorable because you are on a new adventure together.
How to assemble the picnic:
* One tasty store bought roasted chicken cut into pieces
* A batch of Colorful Caprese Skewers
* Lemony Peasto Farfalle with peas, celery and feta cheese
* A light and simple green salad with the dressing on the side
* A crunchy baguette to be torn into chunks and shared
* A few good cheeses
* A jar of olives
* A crock of whole grain mustard, maybe some aioli too
* Grapes and seasonal fruit
* Perhaps some cookies or a nice pound cake as well
* And don’t forget to bring beverages!
Tip: The night before, fill freezable bottles 3/4 full with water, slip in some mint sprigs and lemon slices and freeze. Now you have both a cold picnic basket and cool water to drink.
Green Tip: Wrap your cheese in the natural brown wax paper sandwich bags, good for the cheese, good for the eye, and good for the earth.
Tip: Pack each dish with the serving utensils already tucked inside.
Tip: Glass canning jars are great for lots of things, like making and transporting dressings in, bringing and serving cold soups in, as casual sturdy picnic glasses and for storing leftovers in.