“America Makes Dinner” Launches
- June 21, 2012 |
- by The Family Dinner
We are pleased to be part of America Makes Dinner, a national campaign focused on changing the way American families think about dinner, and providing them with the tools and encouragement they need to prioritize healthy, sit-down dinners, launched by Cozi and Partnership for a Healthier America.
America Makes Dinner will present new family dinner selections each week from celebrities, chefs and food bloggers, including Laurie and Kirstin.
Families across the country can visit AmericaMakesDinner.com to find simple, nutritious meal ideas and, by preparing each week’s featured recipe and sharing their feedback, help choose recipe finalists. Once America’s favorite recipes have been chosen, the America Makes Dinner campaign will culminate with America Makes Dinner Day on Oct. 17, when families across the country will sit down and enjoy the winning recipes.
Families also can enter their favorite family-friendly dinner recipes at AmericaMakesDinner.com. Three finalists will be featured during one week of the America Makes Dinner challenge, and the winning family will win a private cooking lesson from chef-preneur Allison Sosna, former executive chef of DC Central Kitchen, a competitor on Food Network’s “Chopped” and a passionate advocate of healthy food for children. During the three-hour cooking lesson, Sosna will teach the basics of preparing quick and easy dinners, and leave the family with a full week’s worth of delicious family dinner ideas. The winner will also receive an All-Clad sauté pan, perfect for large families who like to cook one-dish meals.
Families are encouraged to submit a recipe that helps them get a healthy meal on the table, even on a busy weeknight. To be eligible, dinner recipes must be simple, original and appropriate for families with children. The final recipes also will follow federal MyPlate guidelines for a healthy meal.
As Laurie commented, “The single most important act anyone can do with their family is to sit down together and enjoy a home-cooked meal. And if you do, your children will reap the benefits long into their adult years.”
In addition to Laurie and Kirstin, America Makes Dinner will include favorite family dinner recipes from:
• Daniel and Shauna Ahern, authors of “Gluten Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back” and “Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef”
• Kristy Bernardo, personal chef and blogger for “The Wicked Noodle”
• Floyd Cardoz, chef and Top Chef Masters winner
• Tom Colicchio and Maria Hines, James Beard Award-winning chefs
• Cara Eisenpress, author of “In the Small Kitchen” and a Meatless Monday blogger
• Sierra McCormick, of Disney’s “A.N.T. Farm”
• Holly Smith, chef and James Beard Foundation Medal winner, and her son Oliver
• Allison Sosna, chef and contestant on Food Network’s “Chopped”
Visit America Makes Dinner to learn more.